How can WABSI help you?
- Provide a single point of access to multi-disciplinary research expertise and independent biodiversity information.
- Help developers gain confidence about adequately managing risks associated with the approvals process, cost-effectively managing environmental monitoring and management commitments.
- Support industry to achieve certainty around completion and restoration obligations and boost community confidence in their ability to conduct enterprise without damaging important environmental values.
How do you access world class scientific expertise?
Supported by industry, government and community
As an independent institute, we have strong partnerships with industry and lead associations in Western Australia and research connections nationally and internationally. This means we can better leverage our collective biodiversity knowledge to deliver world-class science.
We were established in 2015 with funding from the Government of Western Australia, in partnership with leading universities and research institutions.
We have access to the State’s top capabilities in a multitude of disciplines within biodiversity science.
In partnership with leading research organisations
- University of Western Australia
- Curtin University
- Murdoch University
- Edith Cowan University
- Department of Parks and Wildlife
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Department of Mines and Petroleum
- Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority
- Western Australian Museum
How do we deliver a return on investment?
Independent and objective scientific research to inform policy decisions
Our independent status allows us to provide access to high quality, unbiased research and credible data that contributes to developing sound policy and management decisions. We are funded and supported by government as well as a range of private organisations. Our wide network and sound partnerships allow us to remain objective about research projects. We have a strong governance structure that ensures that our research is collaborative and undertaken without bias.
Rigorous big picture thinking to deliver specific and local solutions
Our collaborative activities are underpinned by big picture thinking that deliver specific and local solutions to assist government and industry make better land use decisions. This helps boost public confidence in decision making whilst protecting conservation values that support sustainable economic development, tourism and the creation of jobs in WA.
Reduce the cost of research through collaboration and information sharing
We deliver well-designed and cost effective research projects by bringing together leading expertise and connecting you to the right skills. Better coordination means reducing research where information already exists and better collaboration reduces time and cost, achieving project efficiencies.